August 26, 2012

For my friend Jen

My friend Jen worked with me for about a year and just recently took a job at another company.  While I was sad to see her go, I knew the new job would fit her so well.....and she loves it!  I made a special mug rug for her to take to her new job.  There is a story behind this mug rug:

I work for a non-proft as a social worker that assists people diagnosed with cancer.  Jen was our activity manager and she also helped arrange speaking engagements to ask for companies to consider work place giving to our organization.  For those who do not know me well - I have always loved Firemen.  I have a weak spot for them and often turn into a hot mess when speaking with one. 

One day, Jen approached me saying that a Fire Department had requested we come out three different days to speak with Firemen and she had thought of me right away.  Now that's a good friend (although my husband might disagree!).  I could only do one of the days - Monday.  So come the weekend before my speaking engagement, my car died and I was stranded at home waiting for a rental car and could not speak Monday. I ended up switching around with Jen and agreed to do Wednesday and she drove me to the speaking engagement - once again - a good friend!!  Well, Jen and my boss took the other two days and they spoke to some pretty hot men.  So, Wednesday rolls around and I am pumped!!  I get there - and not to be mean - but I got the leftovers. I have a strong aversion to mustaches. I always have even since my childhood.  I would say three fourths of the room had mustaches and there wasn't a whole lot of muscle either.  Jen kept saying she was sorry that I got the leftovers and she got the hunks.  There were 2 pieces of eye candy there and I got a wink from one - so that made the day better :)

I couldn't believe it when I was out fabric shopping and found some firemen fabric. I bought it and set out making a mug rug. One side has firemen - the other side has chevron zig zags in red, blug and black.  Here is the front:
I used the part that had the hunky man on it and then sewed the mustache man in at the bottom.  She laughed so hard when I gave it to her and loved it.  She keeps the chevron side up at work (she is so much better behaved than me - I would totally have the guys face up) and peeks at the firemen side when days are bad or she just needs a jump start.  I was so happy to make this for her and so very happy that she loved it as much as she did!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind??

Hits Since January 9, 2009!

Free Hit Counter by Pliner.Net